If you are a customer with a booking made before 31 October 2018, when TravelBird BV ceased to operate, please consult the frequently asked questions below or visit www.sgr.nl
- Will Secret Escapes take over the TravelBird bookings made prior and up to 31 October 2018?
No, Secret Escapes does not take over any existing TravelBird bookings. The bookings made at TravelBird up to and including 31 October 2018 will be handled by SGR. You will have received an email about this and more information can be found on this website and on www.sgr.nl.
- I am currently on my trip. What happens to me?
The trip can continue as planned as long as it is paid for. Flights, rental cars and transfer are usually booked and paid for, however hotels are probably not paid. If you need to pay on the spot, please keep the receipt to claim with SGR. We cannot do the payment for you unfortunately. In case of emergency, please contact email@example.com
- I am travelling tomorrow / this week. What happens to my trip?
I am sorry, At this moment we are not able to give you information on this. The
curator will make the decision what will happen to your trip tomorrow. The SGR will contact you in the coming days. The trip could continue as planned as long as it is paid for. Flights, rental cars and transfer are usually booked and paid for, however hotels are probably not paid. If you need to pay on the spot, please keep the receipt to claim with SGR. We cannot do the payment for you unfortunately.
- What is the SGR ?
The SGR (Foundation for the Guaranty of Travelers funds) is the Dutch solution for the obligations of travel agents and/or tour operators to take care of sufficient guarantees to fulfill their obligations towards its travellers in case of insolvency. The intention is to ensure travellers don’t have financial losses due to this.
- My trip could not continue and had to be cancelled, and I am waiting for my refund. Do I get that back?
Yes, but the SGR needs to align with all stakeholders (PayPal, credit card holders) to decide on the execution of all refunds. We can say that it is covered, but not yet how and by who.
- If I claim a refund, what is the total amount I am entitled to?
You are entitled to the total payment amount to the maximum of the travel costs, transport costs and/or accommodation costs paid. If you already used a part of your trip, the refund will be limited accordingly.
- What deals of TravelBird are included and excluded from the SGR coverage?
Ticket-only vouchers (e.g. for a themepark) and giftcards are not covered under the guarantee scheme of the SGR. Hotel-only stays and everything included in a package (e.g. round trips, long haul) are covered by the SGR.
- Are there any payments excluded from the SGR coverage?
- Ticket only costs are excluded
- Extra costs that are not part of the travel sum like change fees (e.g. for date/name change), credit card fees, legal costs, visa costs
- Booking fees / calamityfund is part of the SGR coverage
- Insurance fees with our insurer Europeesche can be claimed at the insurance
- How do I hand in my claim?
Unfortunately, we do not know yet, as the SGR has to decide on this. The SGR will reach out to you by email, providing the necessary instructions to hand in your claim. For more information, please go to the the guarantee scheme on the website of the SGR.
The minimum set of documents that you will most likely need to hand over when submitting the claim:
(i) Booking confirmation
(ii) The proofs of payments (receipts) related thereto
(iii) Any travel documents, such as transport tickets (incl. airline tickets), vouchers etc.
- When do I hand in my claim?
Normally you need to make sure you hand in your claim within two months after you became aware (f.e. because you received an email from TravelBird) that TravelBird would not be able to fulfill its obligations towards you. However, the SGR will confirm this when they reach out to you.
- I have a voucher (e.g. compensation coupon) that is still valid, what happens with that?
Vouchers are unfortunately not valid anymore and they are excluded from SGR
To see details of any bookings made before 31st October, please click here